Saturday, December 3, 2011

Glitter Balls with Santa Hats

This is my latest little 'upcycling' project with a Dollar Store ornament. I love poking around the aisles this time of year for things that can be turned into something else.



When I spotted these this week I was very excited. My initial plan was to paint them with little faces, but after many layers of attempt, it wasn't really working out. When I tried painting the red balls, in particular, I was up to 6 layers of white paint and still getting pink. The finish on the glass ball was actually turning the paint into a Pepto Bismo pink. It was rather fascinating, but not at all Christmasy.

So .... glitter came to the rescue and saved the day. Yay for glitter. Snowballs with Santa hats - I instantly loved them. I used a layer of Twinkles Glitter Paint and then - as this wasn't enough - some actual glitter.

I'm looking forward to trying some more, as the steps necessary are far less than I went through in the experimenting process. Paint, twinkle glaze/paint and glitter should do the trick. I also added some glitter glaze to the holly (green) and berries (red). No doubt it would also be pretty with just a crystal glaze, but I happened to have the colours.

They look pretty on the tree don't you think? One could go to town with sequins and other trim bits on the hat, but I am keeping it simple.

The garland on this tree is another recent experiment, but I shall have to tell you more about that - still in development!

No comments:

Post a Comment