Monday, November 28, 2011

Decorating with Nutcrackers

Wikipedia says "Nutcrackers in the form of wooden carvings of a soldier, knight, king, or other profession have existed since at least the 15th century...



The carving of nutcrackers developed as a cottage industry in forested rural areas of Germany. The most famous nutcracker carvings come from Sonneberg in Thuringia (also a center of dollmaking) and from the Ore Mountains. " Aren't they just magical?

Because I always have nutcrackers on the mantle, I decided to feature nutcracker (and stockings) ornaments on a small tree near the mantle. I'm not doing my large garlands this year, so I thought I'd add another tree into the mix.

These hand painted blown glass ornaments are gorgeous, and I got them from TheShoppingChannel.com - the nutcrackers last year and the stockings this year. I've added beaded hangers just to make them a little more special.

Also from TheShoppingChannel.com I treated myself to this snowglobe - as there is always a snowflake theme. This is really cool as it has battery settings for constant snow motion, or can be set to activate when a candle is lit, as it is also a tealight holder. It would make a lovely table centrepiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment