Wednesday, July 31, 2013

WIP Wednesday - Christmas Tree Skirt 2013-1


I am trying these days to get back into my crafting and craft blogging, so I thought it would be a good challenge for me to participate now and then in the WIP (Work-in-Progess) Wednesdays and FO (Finished Object) Fridays at Tami's Amis and Other Creations.





It's also nice to have a change of pace from teeny tiny beads - which I've been working with and blogging about lately - and work with nice soft wool in a comfy chair.  Sticking with my Christmas focus though ... the crochet Christmas tree skirts are back this week.


This has got to be one of the most addictive patterns ever - I just love making them.  I made quite a few last year with fancy faux fur yarns and/or fancy stitches (popcorn stitch bubbles look fabulous), and in a variety of colours.  We ended up with several more Christmas Trees in the house as I just couldn't bare to part with a few of them.

My goal this year is to start making them again but to keep things simple and more cost-effective.   The faux fur yarns are a stunning addition but unless you can find it very inexpensively it adds significant cost. You need  a lot even for the odd row (especially on the outside edge).  The popcorn stitch effect is also beautiful but more work and a real wool-eater.  



The basic ripple stitch is so effective for this project ... it creates starburst circles around the tree, and there are so many oodles of possibilities for patterns and colours -  I am going to focus on that for making them to sell.


I really enjoy watching it transform with each change of colour - it's a great motivator for "just one more row" -  and it grows so quickly at the beginning that you really feel that you are well on your way right from the get-go.  An ideal project.

So that's what I'm currently motivated to work on for my WIP updates.  Hopefully it won't be long before I can participate in a FO Friday, and I am already imagining pattern ideas for the next one.

For knitting and crochet motivation, I enjoy looking through the other wonderful projects on a Wednesday.  Take a look at WIP Week #155  at Tami's Amis and Other Creations.


8 comments:

  1. That is gorgeous! So glad I found your blog through WIP Wednesday! I am constantly thinking Christmas, but everyone assumes I am crazy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are a little aren't we Heather? But it's fun, so never mind!

      Delete
  2. Look at you, posting on WIP Wednesday! Welcome!
    Cute tree skirts ... I just love me some ripples :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tree skirt is beautiful :)
    I keep saying I'm going to make one but still have not..lol

    I have a Link&Share Crochet Party on Wednesdays .. if you would like to join we would love to have you!

    http://crochethappy.com/link-up-share-linky-party/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love holiday crafts, and these tree skirts are lovely! I think you're right - keeping it simple will be more cost effective and you'll be able to make more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi your tree skirt is just beautiful and I love that it is homemade! I saw it on crochet happy!
    Julie from julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You for LInking Up at the Crochet Happy Linky Party!
    Your Link has been Pinned and shared with all my Social Networks and I am now following your site so I can do the same with your future posts too!
    I hope you got some well deserved exposure for your work :)


    Tracy
    www.crochehappy.com

    ReplyDelete