Sunday, January 30, 2011

Pink Dots Baby Blanket


At last! The first real baby blanket that I have completed and been satisfied with in a very long time.



A simple shell pattern that I adapted from a scarf pattern, it works up in multipes of 6 stitches +2. This is a good sized baby blanket with 158 stitches, but I'd be inclined to go 6 or 12 less for the next one, and could be made in a smaller version for in a pram or car seat.


Having tried a few variations, I like to use a considerably larger needle than the wool band suggests for this stitch as I think it gives a much softer result.

To finish the edges consistently I added a shell border around the bottom and sides, working 8 stitches in the corners. Quite happy with the result, especially for this little girls version, although it also looks nice with a straight edge.

So ... waiting to hear some news from a friend, and with a blue blanket also in the works, who knows where this one will end up.

The basic shell pattern as given for a scarf (and matching hat) can be found at the Art of Crochet by Teresa.

The wool? it's Loops & Threads Snuggly Wuggly mini dots and I used a 5.5mm hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment